Chateau de Bonhoste was established in 1977 when Bernard and Colette Fournier purchased this 11th century Chateau and its 44 hectares of vineyards located in the town of St. Jean de Blaignac, just 6 km south of St Emilion, where the family has lived since 1895.
Planted on the slopes of the southern bank of the Dordogne River, the vineyards here are farmed employing "la lutte raisonnée", or "the reasoned struggle", a practice that is very close to organic farming. With clay/limestone soils, the vineyards support 70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon and 10% Cab Franc for the reds, with 55% Semillion, 40% Sauvignon and 5% Muscadelle for the whites.
On the property, there are 200+ year-old underground cellars of natural stone where the barrels and bottles are aged. Today, the winemaking role has been passed on to Yannick Fournier, while his sister Sylvaine works the vines with her mother Collette.