Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Wigle is a family operation restoring the proud Pennsylvania tradition of distilling rye whiskey in the same style as their forbears – using local organic ingredients and a copper pot still.
Introducing Wigle Whiskey
American whiskey was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Throughout the 1700 and 1800s, Western Pennsylvania was the epicenter of American Whiskey production. Wigle is named for one of those pioneering Pennsylvania distillers. Wigle was a good-natured man who was sentenced to hang for his unsinkable love of whiskey. In 1794, Phillip Wigle defended his right to distill in a tussle with a tax collector. He unwittingly helped spark the Whiskey Rebellion, which pitted Western Pennsylvania distillers against George Washington's troops.
After the Whiskey Rebellion of the 1790s, Pittsburgh continued to make the country's whiskey. By 1808, Allegheny County was producing half a barrel of whiskey for every man, woman and child living in America. At this time, the gold standard of American whiskey was a spicy, earthy Rye Whiskey called Monongahela Rye. At the height of Whiskey making in Western Pennsylvania, there were 4,000 documented stills. Today, Wigle Whiskey is the only whiskey distillery in the region and was the first distillery in the City of Pittsburgh since Prohibition.
Wigle is a family owned and operated lark. The distillery became operational in December of 2011 and opened to the public in March 2012 after two years of lobbying to change the state laws to allow for an on-premise model of craft distillery to exist in Pennsylvania. In 2015 & 2016, Wigle was the most awarded craft whiskey distillery in the US by the American Craft Spirits Association and has won Best in Category Craft Rye Whiskey (2015), Best in Category Wheat Whiskey (2016), and Best in Category Genever (2016), in the same double-blind competition of hundreds of whiskeys from around the country. Wigle devotes an enormous amount of resources to innovation and makes each of its dozens of spirits, including Whiskeys, Gins, Honey Spirits and Bitters, grain-to-bottle from local, organic ingredients. Wigle never, ever purchases spirits from bulk suppliers.
Producer Tech Sheets
- Bird in Hand Sazerac 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Saffron Negroni 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Amaro Vermut 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Saffron Amaro 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Afterglow Ginger Whiskey 6 x 375ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Absent Minded Absinthe 6 x 375 View Tech Sheet
- Landlocked Spiced 6 x 375ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Dutch Style Gin 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Pennsylvania Bourbon 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Straight Wheat Whiskey 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Pennsylvania Wheat Whiskey 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Straight Rye Whiskey 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet
- Organic Pennsylvania Rye Whiskey 6 x 750ml View Tech Sheet