Tenuta di Trinoro
Tenuta di Trinoro
A charismatic man, who lives life with great intent, Andrea Franchetti, the proprietor of both Tenuta di Trinoro in Tuscany and Passopisciaro in Sicily, is the nephew of Cy Twombly and the heir to a textile fortune that threads his mother's line. Described by Jancis Robinson in 2002, as "a youthful Yves Saint Laurent," Franchetti once ran a restaurant in Rome, before moving on to distribute Italian wines in the U.S., from 1982-86.
Introducing Tenuta di Trinoro
In 1992, he landed in the province of Siena, where Tuscany intersects with Umbria and Lazio, a remote region that hadn't seen vines in years. Always a risk taker, Andrea planted Bordeaux varietals, in lieu of Sangiovese, at high elevations (500-700m) on the slopes of Mount Amiata. Then as now, he practices high density planting (approximately 9,000 vines/ha), and prunes heavily (60%) to produce low yields, while allowing the grapes to linger long on the vines for a growing season that can extend into November. Working with only free run juice, Andrea's production is quite small, and limited to, on average, a mere 750 cases a year.
Speaking of how his methods have changed over the years, Franchetti said, "I still look for concentration and low yields. I bleed the tanks and I don't like wood." And while the 1997 Tenuta di Trinoro saw 100% new French oak, Andrea now believes that, "You can make more profound wines with less wood. My barrels are [now] 10-20% new wood." If a vintage isn't worthy, Franchetti has no problem bypassing it, leaving the grapes to the birds on the vines.
Producer Tech Sheets
- Tenuta di Trinoro Le Cupole IGT Toscana 2014 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Tenuta di Trinoro Magnacosta IGT Toscana 2013 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Tenuta di Trinoro IGT Toscana 2013 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Tenuta di Trinoro Le Cupole IGT Toscana 2013 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Tenuta di Trinoro IGT Toscana 2011 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Tenuta di Trinoro IGT Palazzi 2012 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet