Château de Bonhoste
Château de Bonhoste
Chateau de Bonhoste was established in 1977 when Bernard and Colette Fournier purchased this 11th century Chateau and its 44 hectares of vineyards located in the town of St. Jean de Blaignac, just 6 km south of St. Emilion, where the family has lived since 1895.
Introducing Château de Bonhoste
The Château de Bonhoste was born around 1895, when the Bussiere family arrived at “Bonhoste”, locality of the commune of Saint Jean de Blaignac, where the Chabert family already resides since the end of the XVIIIth century. It was Bernard Fournier, grandson of Mrs. Bussiere, who brought together two properties in 1977. With the help of his wife Colette, they decided to develop this family business. In 2005, their children Sylvaine and Yannick Fournier, the 5th generation, toke over the property. Yannick, after studies in viticulture and oenology deals with the technical part, Sylvaine, a graduate in economics and business management, manages marketing.
Located at the 45 ° parallel, Bordeaux enjoys a temperate climate, favorable to the vine with winters with rare frosts, wet springs, hot summers and sunny autumns. The château is located on a hillside facing Saint-Émilion, overlooking the Dordogne valley. With its 44 hectares, the Château de Bonhoste is located on clay-limestone soil, with good drainage potential, it leaves the surplus water to flow in depth where it is not likely to saturate the roots of Vine. In 2013, vineyards obtained the HVE (High Environmental Value) certification to ensure the controlled management of the environment. Implemented since February 2012, HVE is a tool that focuses on four key themes: the preservation of biodiversity, phytosanitary strategy, fertilization management and the water resource. Bonhoste has been aging in their cellar since 1986. However, it was excavated 200 years ago, originally for the extraction of stone for the construction of Bordeaux houses, but now presents the ideal, stable environment for elevating their wines.