Domaine Tortochot dates back to the end of the 19th century when Paul Tortochot purchased some vineyard land in Gevrey-Chambertin and began to sell his tiny production on the Place des Marronniers. His son Felix expanded the family holdings when he married Louise Liebault of Morey and the couple joined their vineyards. The tradition continued with Gabriel Tortochot and currently resides with his daughter Chantal who took over for her retired father in 1996.
Introducing Domaine Tortochot
Since 1996, Chantal Tortochot has engaged in a rigorous project of updating the vineyards and centuries old winery. She began a conversion to organic viticulture in her Gevrey-Chambertin "Les Corvees" vineyard in 2003, and the results were so good that in 2008 she began a full conversion to organics in all of her vineyards. Beginning with the 2012 vintage all Domaine Tortochot wines are certified organic by EcoCert. A new building was constructed behind the original winery to provide the space and equipment necessary to maintain a tight control on cleanliness and vinification style. Chantal's wines are elegant and fleshy, bright and concentrated all at once. They are exceptional expressions of their individual terroirs.
The Domaine totals 11 hectares, 10 of which are in Gevrey-Chambertin including plots in three different lieu dit, two 1er Crus including the famous Lavaux St Jacques and three Grand Cru Vineyards. Chantal owns 7 rows of the famed Clos de Vougoet Grand Cru. The average age of the vines across the totality of the Domaine is over 50 years old. The plots are all planted to a very high density of 10,000 planes per hectare and hand harvested into small bins.
All vinification at the Domaine involves a blend of traditional and modern techniques. The Pinot Noir is 100% destemmed and a pre-fermentation cold soak is performed. Pump-overs are utilized to greater degrees depending on the characteristics of the plots. All plots are vinified separately and modern temperature control insures a slow and delicate fermentation. All the Grand Crus are aged for 18 months in 100% new oak from Berthomieu, Rousseau and Francois. The 1er Crus see about 50% new oak and the Village level wines only 20%.
Producer Tech Sheets
- Domaine Tortochot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru "Lavaux St. Jacques" 2014 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Gevrey-Chambertin "Les Jeunes Rois" 2013 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Gevrey-Chambertin "Champerrier" VV 2012 MAGNUM 6 x 1.5L View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 2008 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru 2012 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Mazis-Chambertin Grand Cru 2012 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Chambertin Grand Cru 2008 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Chambertin Grand Cru 2011 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Chambertin Grand Cru 2012 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru 2012 6 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Domaine Tortochot Morey St Denis 2013 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet