Route de Flassan
Bédoin, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Marc Pichon purchased Domaine le Murmurium in the Cote de Ventoux village of Mormoiron in early 2008 and named his new wine label after his wife, Anne. Comprised of 13 hectares of old vineyards on prime terroir adjacent to Chateau Pesquie, Murmurium is derived from Latin, meaning "The Buzzing Song of Bees", an old estate name which is honored by the crest on the Anne Pichon labels.
Introducing Anne Pichon
Over the past years Anne Pichon Wines acquired more old vineyards to bring the size of the domaine to 21 hectares. “The best vineyards in Ventoux are low-yielding and difficult to cultivate,” said Marc. “They’re the ones that people want to get rid of.” With organically farmed holdings that include 9ha Grenache, 5ha Syrah, 1ha Merlot, 0.8ha Carignan, 1.2ha Roussanne, 1.5ha Viognier, 0.7ha Grenache Blanc, 1.5ha Clairette and 0.3ha Bourboulenc, the micro-climate at Anne Pichon is dry, with cool, manually tilled soils that retain moisture when it rains. And because of the Mistral that sweeps up from the hills below, fruit is less susceptible to rot and disease, providing and ideal environment for organic viticulture.
Employing careful vineyard management, low yields and late harvesting, Pichon hand-harvests and destems all of the fruit. Reds are vinified in small 50 hL cement tanks or stainless steel, at low temperature to achieve a long maceration. For extraction Marc generally performed two gentle pump overs daily, with additional manual punch downs if necessary. The fermentations extend 3 to 4 weeks with a slow progressive increase in temperature to extract a very fine tannin structure. The malolactic fermentation and ageing take place partly in oak barrels but mostly in cements tanks. White wines are made from only a light pressing of first run juice and vinified in stainless steel tanks with strict temperature control to maintain a balance of ripe fruit and freshness.
Producer Tech Sheets
- Anne Pichon "Sauvage" Vermentino VdP Vaucluse IGP 2016 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Gris Montagne Rosé de Ventoux 2016 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Roussanne VdP Vaucluse 2013 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon "Sauvage" Syrah/Grenache AOP Ventoux 2014 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Viognier VdP Vaucluse 2015 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon "Sauvage" Grenache Noir Vat No. 12 Vieilles Vignes 2014 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Viognier VdP Vaucluse 2014 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Trotinette Ventoux Blanc 2013 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Trotinette Ventoux Blanc 2014 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Peripherique Ventoux Rouge 2009 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Grenache Grandiose Vieilles Vignes 2010 MAGNUM 12 x 750ML View Tech Sheet
- Anne Pichon Grenache Grandiose Vieilles Vignes 2010 MAGNUM 6 x 1.5L View Tech Sheet